Dementia Skills Training
Positive Approach to Care (PAC)
Senior Home Care Solutions/Alzheimer’s Solutions’ certified trainers can provide your team with the strategies and techniques necessary to compassionately care for those with dementia. Our trainers are certified in the Positive Approach to Care techniques.
What is the “Positive Approach To Care?”
Positive Approach To Care is a program developed by Teepa Snow, a leading and respected educator on dementia and dementia care. This program emphasizes making use of the skills retained by the individual while providing support, and substituting our skill, for what is no longer available.
Meet Our PAC Certified Dementia Care Trainers
Why choose the “Positive Approach To Care” training program for your team?
- Increase employee retention by giving them the skills to better solve behavioral challenges that arise.
- Provide a calmer community as your employees develop their skills to connect with the dementia residents which reduces the number of outbursts.
- Faster work completion rates as your employees recognize the unmet needs and growing distress to lessen the number of problems.
- Improved corporate culture as employees feel they can succeed and are supported with the most effective and up to date techniques which will provide better outcomes and less problems.
What makes this program different from other dementia programs?
- The mission is to develop each person’s talents and abilities to help gain awareness, knowledge, and skill. The goal is to transform current employee practices into a more positive dementia care culture for all concerned.
- By using these care partnering techniques we will grow their interpersonal skills which is essential to improve the quality of life for the person living with dementia.
Strategies and Techniques of the PAC Training
Respond rather than react to a person with dementia’s change and abilities in a way that is proactive, not harmful or offensive.
Appreciate that with practice, common reactions to the person with dementia can become thoughtful responses that improve everyone’s quality of life.
Recognize the person with dementia is doing the best they can when faced with challenging situations.
Change our approach, behavior and expectations for improved outcomes.
“Dementia does not rob someone of their dignity, it’s our reaction to them that does.” – Teepa Snow
DEMENTIA TRAINING SESSIONS
Class A: Normal vs Not Normal Aging
Understanding the difference
Class B: Positive Approach to Care™
Develop observational skills necessary to recognize and address unmet emotional and physical needs
Learn Care Partnering Techniques:
Class C: Teepa’s GEMS™, More Than Just Loss
Utilize Teepa Snow’s GEMS® Brain Change Model to compare the six states of cognitive function and highlight each gem’s characteristics. Instead of focusing on losses throughout the progression of dementia, the GEMS® model views all individuals as precious and unique, with differing remaining abilities. Each level of brain change is designated as a different gemstone, with distinct characteristics and the proper settings in which they are at their brilliant best.
Schedule Your Staff Training
Call today for more information or to schedule this valuable training for your staff
For your convenience, our trainers will come to your site to provide the Dementia PAC training.